- Category: Engineering Trivia
The Coffee Break Quiz - A challenging selection of General Engineering questions and answers
sometimes you just don't know what you don't know, but you're sure that you did know or that you should know and when you see the answers you know that once upon a time you probably did know !
Challenge your colleagues - can they answer more than you ?
- In mathematics, the number 3.14159 is more commonly referred to as what letter of the Greek alphabet
- In a pipe line system, where would you find the Vena Contracta - a) on the discharge side of a pump b) at the downstream side of an orifice plate c) at the downstream side of a 90 degree bend d) at the downstream side of an eccentric reducer
- The Bell X-1 was the first rocket-powered airplane to break the sound barrier - True or False
- Dendrophobia is a fear of what - a) Trees b) Cat fur c) Dog barks d) Open Spaces
- In the SI unit system the base unit of mass is the kilogram (kg) - true or false
- It is generally agreed that the first person to receive an infraction for speeding in an automobile in the USA was Mr Jacob German in 1899 - what speed was he doing - a) 10 mph b) 12 mph c) 15 mph d) 20mph
- Johannes Gutenberg was a German who in 1439 invented - a) The Mechanical Clock b) The Flushing Toilet c) The Microscope d) Moveable Type for Printing
- The diesel engine uses the heat of compression to create ignition and therefore burn the fuel that has been injected into the combustion chamber - True or False
- A semi-liquid mixture, typically of fine particles of cement, or coal and water or similar is called a "Murray" - True or False
- In computer nomenclature, a MAC address is specifically used for Apple Macintosh computers - True or False
SEE NEXT PAGE FOR ANSWERS
1) "Pi" 2) b) at the downstream side of an orifice plate 3 ) True 4) a) Trees 5) True 6) b) 12 mph ( driving down Lexington Street in Manhattan - the speed limit at the time was 8 mph for straight roads) 7) d) Moveable Type for Printing 8) True 9) False - A semi-liquid mixture, typically of fine particles of cement, or coal and water or similar is called a "Slurry" 10) False - MAC stands for "Media Access Control Address" it is not related Apple Macintosh computers