The Coffee Break Quiz - A challenging selection of General Engineering questions and answers Sometimes you just don't know what you don't know, but you're sure that you did know or that you should know and when you see the answers you know that once upon a time you probably did know !
Challenge your colleagues - can they answer more than you ?
- Kingda Ka Roller Coaster, Six Flags, New Jersey is the fastest in the world - True or False
- 7/16" equals 0.4375" as a decimal - True or False
- In solid mechanics, torsion is defined as the linear force stretching an object along its axis - True or False
- The Eagle automobile model was released by Ford in the late 1980's - True or False
- Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics which studies triangles and the relationships between the lengths of their sides and the angles between those sides. The word Trigonometry is derived from the Latin "Trigon" meaning angle and "Ometry" meaning relationship - True or False
- The Katal is the SI derived unit of Catalytic Activity - True or False
- What name is given to an instrument used to measure the height of an object above a fixed level - a) Polarimeter b) Heightmeter c) Barometer d) Altimeter
- What is the name of the electrical switch which was invented at Bell Telephone Laboratories - a) Grass Switch b) Reed Switch c) Twig Switch d) Fern Switch
- In Roman Numerals, "D" equals what number - a) 50 b) 100 c) 500 d) 1000
- Electrical impedance is the residual torque resisting the initial rotation at the start up of an electric motor - True or False
SEE NEXT PAGE FOR ANSWERS
1) True - 0 to 128 mph in 3.5 seconds 2) True 3) False - is the twisting of an object due to an applied force at right angles to its linear axis 4) False - it was released by American Motors/Chrysler 5) False - it is derived from the Greek trigōnon meaning "triangle" plus metron meaning "measure" 6) True 7) d) Altimeter 8) b) Reed Switch 9) c) 500 10) False - it is the value of the resistance in a circuit when a voltage is applied