- Category: Engineering Trivia
The Coffee Break Quiz - A challenging selection of General Engineering questions and answers
Sometimes you just don't know what you don't know, but you're sure that you did know or that you should know and when you see the answers you know that once upon a time you probably did know !
Challenge your colleagues - can they answer more than you ?
- Gaussian Elimination is a chemical process used in distillation - True or False
- A Borescope is used for non destructive testing of metals - True or False
- In mathematics and computer science, truncation is the term for limiting the number of digits right of the decimal point, by discarding the least significant ones. - True or False
- What name is given to a machine or mechanism used to reduce the volume of a material through a squeezing process - a) Reducer b) Extruder c) Presser d) Compactor
- The Charpy v-notch test, is used to determine the amount of energy absorbed by a material during fracture - True or False
- Nuclear fission is the disintegration of a susceptible atom's nucleus into two different, smaller elements and other particles including neutrons - True or False
- A diving bell is a rigid chamber used to transport divers to depth in the ocean - True or False
- The term BIM is widely used within the building and construction industry - What does BIM stand for
- In the International System of Units - what name is given to a derived unit of energy, work, or an amount of heat - a) Pascal b) Watt c) Joule d) Newton
- In Civil Engineering - An "Abyssinian Well" is any device for securing a suspension or cantilever bridge at either end - True or False
SEE NEXT PAGE FOR ANSWERS
1) False - it is an algorithm for solving systems of linear equations 2) False - it is used for visual inspection 3) True 4) d) Compactor 5) True 6) True 7) True 8) Building Information Modelling 9) c) Joule 10) False it is a perforated pipe driven into the ground for pumping out collected ground water