Are you a “Gunna” when it comes to paperwork and “stuff” on your desk ? It's all too common with Engineers. That magazine article that you must read (but haven't got the time right now), that product information that you need to catch up on (but haven't got the time right now), that hard copy of the report (but haven't got the time right now), those spare nuts and bolts, broken machine parts, the xxxx, the yyyy, the zzzz.
It's all in the “Gunna” do basket and it all ends up in a stack on the corner of your desk, or work station or on the top of the filing cabinet or on a shelf.
Then after stack #1 gets unstable there is stack #2 and stack #3 and ......... so it goes on.
Then it all gets too hard, so you promise yourself that you will look at it “manana” - tomorrow. But of course tomorrow is yesterdays today and so it keeps on, going on.
The answer is the 5 D's of Engineering
Be ruthless and apply rigorously with no exception.
When "stuff" comes across your desk, apply the 5 D's of Engineering :-
- Do it – Today – before you leave work - or
- Dump it – Today - be ruthless - Yes you will throw away some good stuff. But on balance the Pareto Principle will prevail and 80% of the time you will be correct. And the other 20% ? - manage it when it happens - or
- Delegate it– Move it on – Today – thats what emails are really good for – move it on to subordinates or colleagues – just move it on
- Deliberate - Make a decision and move on to the next job
Apply the 5 D's of Engineering to reclaim your desk and sanity. It will improve your efficiency and might even mean less time at the office.
Monday 25 January, 2010 09:54 AM