The Coffee Break Quiz - A challenging selection of General Engineering questions and answers
sometimes you just don't know what you don't know, but you're sure that you did know or that you should know and when you see the answers you know that once upon a time you probably did know !
Challenge your colleagues - can they answer more than you ?
- In Engineering, a device which allows motion in one direction only, whilst preventing motion in the opposite direction is called a – a) Revolver b) Rotunda c) Ratchet d) Reducer
- Which American automobile manufacturer used an American Indian Headdress as a logo up until 1956 - a) Pontiac b) Jeep c) Plymouth d) GMC
- In international Engineering JIS stands for - Japanese Industry Standard – True or False
- What is the more common name for an Occultation Event in astronomy – a) a Gamma Ray Burst b) a Comet Sighting c) an Eclipse d) a Supernova
- What name is given to a pressurized vessel designed to heat aqueous solutions above their boiling point in order to achieve sterilization or for heat transfer in industrial applications – a) Boiler b) Furnace c) Autocar d) Autoclave
- Typically seen on engineering drawings are the initials - UNO, which stand for – Under Normal Observance – True or False
- In wine making terminology Pigeage is a French term for the traditional stomping of grapes in open fermentation tanks – True or False
- Ball, roller, taper and thrust are types of what – a) Bearings b) Gears c) Transmission Chains d) Hammer Heads
- In steel piping terminology, does the Nominal Bore (NB) specify the actual dimension of - a) the inside diameter b) the outside diameter c) neither
- In Engineering terminology - ISO - stand for International Standard Organisation – True or False
In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the experts mind there are few
SEE NEXT PAGE FOR ANSWERS
1) b) Ratchet 2) a) Pontiac 3) True 4) c) an Eclipse 5) d) Autoclave 6) False – UNO stands for Unless Noted Otherwise 7) True 8) a) Bearings 9) c) neither, for pipe it is a "nominal" dimension and should not be confused with Steel Tube which is specied as the actual dimension 10) True