- Category: Engineering Trivia
The Coffee Break Quiz - A challenging selection of General Engineering questions and answers
Sometimes you just don't know what you don't know, but you're sure that you did know or that you should know and when you see the answers you know that once upon a time you probably did know !
Challenge your colleagues - can they answer more than you ?
- A gear mechanism that translates a continuous rotation into an intermittent rotary motion is also called an Italian Cross - True or False
- Piquet is - a) a card game, b) a weapon c) a dance step d) a wine
- Typically made out of light, strong cloth such as nylon, what name is given to a device which is used to slow the motion of an object through an atmosphere by creating drag
- What word is used to describe a container or similar which is completely sealed, especially against the ingress or egress of a gas - a) Heritage b) Hertz c) Hermetic d) Hermes
- A transformer is a device that facilitates a chemical reaction from the solid to gaseous state - True or False
- In Roman numerals, what does the letter "M"equal a) 1000 b) 500 c) 100 d) 50
- First proposed in 1859 and with the symbol R, what is the thermodynamic temperature scale named after a Glasgow (Scotland) university engineer and physicist - a) Romer b) Reaumer c) Rankine d) Rennie
- Amplitude is the magnitude of change in the oscillating variable with each oscillation within an oscillating system - True or False
- Intrinsic safety is a protection technique for safe operation of electronic equipment in explosive atmospheres and under irregular operating conditions - True or False
- What is the name of the process of working a metal's surface to improve its material properties, usually by mechanical means such as hammer blows or by blasting with shot - a) Planing b) Planking c) Peening d) Peeping
SEE NEXT PAGE FOR ANSWERS
1) False - it is a Maltese Cross 2) a) a card game 3) Parachute 4) c) Hermetic 5) False - it is a device that transfers electrical energy from one circuit to another through inductively coupled conductors 6) a) 1000 7) c) Rankine 8) True 9) True 10) c) Peening